Saturday, May 2, 2009

John 17:15

Jesus' last prayer is a thing of beauty. I am so thankful that God brought me to this passage today in my quiet time. "I do not ask that you take them from this world, but that you keep them from the evil one." Jesus is praying for His disciples here, and I am a follower (disciple) of Jesus Christ. So, at least as far as my pea brain can discern, this prayer has two obvious practical applications in my life.

1.) Jesus prayer is that God would not remove me from 'this world,' including hardships, sin, and suffering, but keep me from the evil one. For me, this implies that my life should never be about running from trouble (and not necessarily to it either), but wait patiently upon the Lord. My place is to grow in consecration and sanctification, just as He has ordained through hardship, with every trial.

2.) Christians, the body of Christ, should not withdraw from the world as we have in recent history. Jesus' simple words "I do not ask that you take them from this world," are so profound and important for us to cling to. Under scrutiny and condemnation, at a time when Christians are labeled and mocked, I wonder how much of this we have brought onto ourselves by withdrawing from culture? To isolate ourselves, look pompously at others, condemn people, proclaim rules for living (rather than love and mercy) brings about the desire to withdraw and create a Christian subculture. [If I speak in the tongues of men and angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have prophetic power, and understand all mystery and all knowledge, and if I have faith, such as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 1 Cor. 13:1-2] I believe Jesus' words are all the convincing I need to embrace this life as a means to experience Him and DISPLAY THIS to my little earthly circle of influence. Jesus prayed for protection from the evil one in this world, not isolation from the world and the evil one!

Jesus lived in and among the world. I desire that Christians would permeate non believers and ask the Holy Spirit to work through our acts of love and service. And may the church proclaim love and serve our communities with a desire to display the gospel of Jesus Christ and Him crucified.

No comments:

Post a Comment