Monday, May 4, 2009

False Gods

In my heart and in my family we worship our Risen Savior, we worship the one true God, by means of His Holy Spirit. Three of the five of us recognize our sin nature, our need for Jesus' saving grace, and have begun the lifelong journey of sanctification. Thank God for His Word which recently taught me in Hebrews 4 that the Bible is "living and active, .....pierces to the division of sould ad spirit...."

Today Jeremiah 16:19-20 speaks to me:

O Lord, my strength and my stronghold,
my refuge in the day of trouble,
to you sall the nations come
from the ends of the earth and say:
"Our fathers have inherited nothing but lies.
worthless things in which there is no profit.
Can man make for himself gods?
Such are not gods!"

There are no golden calves at my crib, no stone statues, no shrines to other gods. But there is a TV in virtually every room, there are devices and contraptions for all sorts of entertainment. There is food for all occasions, not just necessities, but anything for whatever whimsical desire we muster up.... There are all sorts of idols that lead to lack of time with my God, and a number of distractions for comfort, laziness, and leizure. Especially in my home, my Savior today prompts me to lead my home in a Christ-centered way, removing distractions and any obstacle to the sufficiency of Jesus Christ, His death and resurrection, and the living Word.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, that is great to hear. As you know, we are going through the same process in our home. I am excited to see what God is doing in your the life of your family, and how he is using you to lead and love them well. I pray that everyone heard this same challenge in yesterday's sermon.

    ReplyDelete