Friday, May 8, 2009

Healing and the Holy Spirit

As I listen to Paul Baloche sing, "You Have Been So Good to Me" this morning, Spurgeon's devotion book prompts me to meditate on Matthew 12:15. In this passage, the Pharisees are plotting against Jesus, so He goes away from where He is to go out and perform healing. Despite my sin nature and filthy heart, Jesus provides healing to me. He removes the disease of sin from my soul, and through His blood and victory over death, proclaims that I am clean in the sight of the Father! Now that's some healing! Swine flu pales in comparison the sickness of my sin. I believe I'll ask for healing from the disease of John Burroughs!

Even better, in I John 4:13, the Word reminds us that once healed, we may dwell in Him. What a gift! Jesus heals us, then ushers into the 'mansion' of His presence. ".....we abide in Him, and Him in us, because he has given us of His spirit." Too poor for this mansion? His abode has a mortgage that's already been paid. Need furniture? It's already there. What about my shabby old garments? In His presence, he provides new garments and a full armor! The shelter of His Holy Spirit is given to believers so that we may dwell in Him.

Thank you Sovereign God for all the provisions necessary to know and love you.

1 comment:

  1. Great insights John. It is humbling and encouraging to see what God continues to do in the lives of those who continually die to self, and seek to live in Christ. I pray that you continue down that narrow but satisfying road.

    ReplyDelete