Monday, June 1, 2009

Preach the Gospel to Yourself

Today's post is going to be rather random, as there are many thoughts that I feel are worthy of imparting on whomever may read this post. Three different thoughts......

1.) As I am in the process of weaning from an antidepressant/antianxiety medicine, it seemed quite appropriate to revisit C.J. Mahaney's little but life-changing book, "The Cross Centered Life." I am reminded of the importance of preaching the gospel to ourselves (C.J. gives credit to John Stott for that terminology), so here is a fundamental scripture to memorize. 2 Corinthians 5:21: "For our sake He made Him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God." If you've not already committed this verse to memory, I exhort you to do that with me and revisit it all day long, letting this thought season every activity you take on throughout the day.

2.) Do I live daily with a healthy fear of God? Thank you to my friend and pastor, Scott, who took our flock on a scripture-journey yesterday, speaking truth from the word of God and prompting each of us to dwell on our perception (or misperception) of the Sovereign God of all we know. Proverbs 1:7 "The fear of the Lod is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction." This sermon actually piggy-backs so nicely on what God has been revealing to me in my "quiet times" with Him daily. Spurgeon's devotion book, "Morning by Morning" has lately (coincidentally) been dealing with the sufficiency of God and our Savior in the midst of trials. David, a man after God's heart, and Jesus, His own sinless, perfect son did not live on earth without trials. Why on earth do I seek a problem-free existence day after day? There is nothing in His Word that says that I deserve a comfortable life, free of resistance or darkness. As a matter of fact, Paul says that God gave him a thorn in his flesh to keep him from becoming arrogant. I pray that God will use our struggles to draw each of us closer to Him!

And this leads me to the last truth that God has unveiled recently.....

3.) James 1: 13-16 (Thanks again, Scott), my own paraphrase: No one is tempted by God. I am tempted when I am enticed by myself and my own sinful desires (people pleasing, comfort, satisfaction/joy in inferior objects/practices). Desire breeds sin, and sin becomes spiritual death. Don't be deceived!

This prompts a question: why are my desires more important than seeking God through prayer and scripture?

1 comment:

  1. Dude, you final thought, or question really made me pause my thoughts for a moment. What a great question for us to ask...Why are my desires more important than seeking God? It is a devistating realization that we actually give ear to our own desires more than we do to the Spirit of God. This realization really reveals my desperation for the mercy of God. Thanks John.

    ReplyDelete